Our client have always had an 'agile' software development lifecycle based on fortnightly sprints, with source control and continuous integration and deployment. They use Azure DevOps and git.
Their Software as a Service offering is built on a React JS frontend, using TypeScript bundling with WebPack, but they have already migrated some bundles to FuseBox for development performance reasons. For the backend they use C#, communication with the server is mostly done over SignalR. The backend uses a SQL ServerhighavailabilityclusterforstateanddatabaseinteractionisperformedviaEntity Framework where possible. They use RabbitMQ for messaging between their micro reasonably sized services, with Serilog and Seq for insights. They have their daily stand-ups with a dozen members taking on average eight minutes.
Who You'll Be
The Head of Software Development is a leadership role for the new Software Development Centre in Newcastle responsible for managing and mentoring the team.
You will need to be able to manage a growing team of software developers as well as quality assurance engineers as they onshore and bring these skills in house. You will be responsible for facilitating mentoring of more junior members and code reviews. Working closely along-side the CTO you will be responsible for the day to day delivery of the SaaS platform releases as well as defining the architectural vision longerterm. You will also be responsible for designing the new functionality for internal support systems that provide diagnostic help for the first level support staff.You along with other mid to senior developers will be expected to provide third level support on the rare occasions it is needed during market hours.You will be leading the hiring process of all new development team members working with the CTO you will take ownership of bi-annual performance reviews and working with team members to define their personal development plans (PDPs).
Mandatory Technical Skillset
- At least 7 years in a strongly typed language.
- At least 5 years in C# or another .Net Framework language.
- Including at least 2 of the following:
Communication & Technical Support
- Ensure effective internal communications both within the development team and across the wider organisation.
- To take control over critical support instances and putting into place the correct escalation and process to manage and resolve issue as soon as possible.
- Working with the development team members to manage holidays to ensure they have the required skills coverage at any time.
- Encourage pro-active discussions with client delivery and account management teams.
- To contribute regularly to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company. Including suggesting technical solutions to problems.
- To support the business development team with pre-sale activities.
- To make sure that team/company are aware of issues immediately and that these issue effectively managed.
- To ensure you help the team to develop, a strong understanding of the products, competition, industry and objectives of each client.
- Strong Leadership, professional attitude – and leading by example
- Bright, highly self-motivated and driven
- Passionate about Software Development-general thirst for knowledge and a significant interest in new emerging technologies
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Innovative and creative, with a concise, precise and effective approach to problem solving and the ability to develop, deliver and evaluate brilliant ideas founded on rock-solid strategic thinking
- Credible, confident and articulate, with excellent communication to deliver ideas clearly and concisely to internal and external stakeholders at all levels of seniority
- Reliable, flexible and cooperative
- Calm manner under pressure
- Diplomatic and tactful
- Personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for excellence
- To efficiently manage your workload
- Willing to travel and to London circa every fortnight
- Policies and Procedures – To comply with all relevant policies and procedures
- Complete all documents required by the company policies and procedures
- Generous holiday allowance
- Pension scheme
- Great starting salary
- Opportunity for progression
- Flexible Time
- Home Working
Could this be the role for you?
If you’d like to have an informal chat about your potential in this role, book in a call with one of our friendly talent advocates on 0191 620 0123 who can provide details, advise and guide you with your job search.
Alternatively, follow us on our blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram to follow industry news, events, success stories and new role releases.