Our client is a registered educational charity and has a strong heritage in learning, going back over 170 years. Dynamic and responsive, They're proud to be recognised for its exceptional customer service and friendly approach with its placement in the Top 50 Companies for Customer Service for three years running.
They offers a wide portfolio including Apprenticeships, qualifications which support Study Programmes and Traineeships, fundable qualifications for adult learners, high quality distance learning models and V Certs for schools. In 2015, and expanded their portfolio with the acquisition of the CACHE brand (the Council for Awards in Care, Health and Education), which is market leader in the childcare sector.
- Agree and lead on defining and setting our overall test approach and test strategy.
- Lead by example, demonstrating best practice, working closely with SDETs, and on-shore / off-shore Testers and Developers, and the wider business, to ensure they have a joined-up approach to manual and automated testing.
- Provide coaching, advice and training needs to testers and IT colleagues on testing principals, methodologies and approach with your knowledge and technical testing skills.
- Performance Management in line with their policy, including Line Management
- Management of succession and progression plans for the Test Team
- Facilitate the Testers Guild to share best practice by arranging activities and meetings, encouraging individual and team development and linking up with external networks, conferences and meet-ups.
- Continually drive the uptake and use of fully automated testing tools and techniques.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performance Management including line management, coaching, monthly 1-2-1's and appraisals
- Act as career mentor to provide advice and guidance on career development
- To actively monitor the productivity and quality outputs of testers and ensure that associated backlog items and tasks are correctly maintained.
- Actively participate, and when required lead in daily Scrum meetings, coordinate, contribute and engage in the sprint planning, sprint review and sprint retrospective meetings
- Review requirements to provide estimates (cost and time) on new software development ideas and associated test approach and provide feedback to the internal customer.
- Analyse software requirements and provide feedback to help ensure that testability and quality is incorporated throughout the lifecycle.
- Carry out planning, preparation and execution of manual and automated test activities.
- Deploy and configure new software builds using appropriate technology in QA/UAT environments
- Ensure that all test environments involved in the development pipeline are correctly configured and maintained, for both on-shore and off-shore teams across each development project.
- Provide support to the business during the user acceptance testing (UAT) process and software stabilisation cycle
- Identify and analyse defects/bugs, providing feedback on quality and communicate progress on resolution
- Engage in all aspects of recruitment of new members to the team including establishing interview format and questions liaising with HRD and external agencies to identify candidates carrying out interviews and selecting successful candidates
- Keep your skills up to date with regards to the technologies and identify new technologies which could improve software testing processes and practices
- Carry out any other duties, appropriate with the grade of the post, as requested by the Software Delivery Manager
It would be even better if you also had:
- Experience of leading an agile development team preferably as a Scrum Master
- Good knowledge of programming and computer sciences principals
- Experience of Browser Automation Tools, for example Selenium
- Experience of API Automation Tools, for example Postman
- Strong understanding of their key business processes, especially Centre Support
- Knowledge of our systems including Emily, Portal, Report Writer and Online Assessment
Qualifications and Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Proven experience of Performance Management within a Software Test environment
- Proven QA testing experience and a passion for software testing.
- ISTQB qualified to at least Foundation level.
- Recent testing experience in Agile (especially Scrum) development projects.
- Experience in the creation and execution of automated testing solutions.
- Good knowledge of SQL and / or NoSQL database technologies.
- Basic knowledge of Azure cloud services including PaaS and IaaS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and fault-finding skills
- A good knowledge of TDD, BDD/DDD
- Experience of managing workload according to competing priorities
Abilities and Behaviours
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate individuals in a Software Test Team, by helping the individual to identify and set goals, help them work towards achieving them
- Ability to provide support, advice and coaching to colleagues on software testing principals, methods and approach
- Ability to quickly understand complex business rules and processes
- Ability to maintain relationships with internal customers, Development Team and project team members
- Aptitude for acquiring knowledge, skills and new technologies
- Ability to provide advice and suggestions to the IT Leads on testing methodology, frameworks and standards to contribute to the overall Software Development approach
- Ability to work on your own initiative and work to within deadlines
- Pro-active and dynamic – want to understand why a problem occurs and solve it yourself ability to behave in a way that demonstrates our Values in Action behaviours at the following levels:
- Service Excellence – Level 2
- Agility – Level 2Influencing – Level 2
- Development – Level 2
- Impact – Level 2
- Operational Excellence – Level 2
- Commerciality – Level 2
- Direction – Level 3
- Working Together – Level 2
Could this be the role for you?
If you’d like to have an informal chat about your potential in this role, book in a call with one of our friendly talent advocates on 0191 620 0123 who can provide details, advise and guide you with your job search.
Alternatively, follow us on our blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram to follow industry news, events, success stories and new role releases.