Newcastle upon Tyne
£28000 - £32000
Software QA Tester
The role of a software tester is to evaluate the quality of systems under test. This is achieved by the writing of test cases/scripts with the aim of detecting as yet undiscovered defects within a system. The goal of a tester is to capture defects prior to new, or amended, systems being deployed into a production environment for use by everyday users. This involves the analysis of systems with the objective of reducing risk of things going wrong with software when deployed into a production environment. Defects can be flaws within business processes as well as system related.
What will you do:
Roles that require a specialised field of knowledge/professionals who use their judgement to apply expertise. Works within established procedures. Has related work experience but requires formal training in theories/concepts in own function. Typically acts as a lead, coordinating the work of others as a supervisor. May also apply to roles that have developed high proficiency in a range of processes or procedures through job-related training and considerable on the-job experience.
- We commit to the scoping, planning and schedule of testing activities for projects. You are going to provide estimated timelines to line manager, project manager and developers.
- You analyse the impact of proposed system changes and develop new, or amend existing, test cases/scripts, for software to be tested through analysis of documentation and discussions with technical colleagues (i.e. developers, web developers) and business users
- You will liaise with other business areas, and other IT Teams, to establish requirements of testing. Attend workshops with internal and external clients when required.
- Test cases to be given a unique test number and test name
- Supply to the creation and maintenance of test cases/scripts
- Analyse and understand the information contained within both technical documents (i.e., Technical specification) and non-technical documents (i.e. Business Requirements Document) in order to identify, and write, suitable test cases
- To contribute to the system testing of new and existing software systems to ensure they meet requirements
- To contribute to regression testing to identify any impacts caused by the introduction of new or amended code
- Recording of test results and collate appropriate test evidence from tests to ensure that testing remains an auditable process
- To contribute to the testing of fixes for reported defects, including tests that could have been impacted by the fixes
- Assess fitness of software tested through analysing the output of results from tests undertaken.
- Identify areas for improvement in systems or processes for software under test
- Highlight any issues identified in a timely manner
- Log newly detected defects and communicate these detections with developers
- Track progress of defect fixing and retesting of fixed defects
- Update status of defects in order to keep information of test progress up to date
- Provide feedback to developers about fixed defects and patches
Training and other SQA related activities
- Training in User Acceptance Testing and use of a test management tool to be delivered to colleagues from other business areas of the NBS Group
- Mentoring of business testers
- Attend meetings with Contract and Account Managers and/or external corporate clients, when required.
- Provide required information for audits (i.e. Internal Audit review, ISAE3000), when necessary
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of technical issues and skills relevant to the role
Test Sign Off activities
- Report results to stakeholders
- Use own judgement to assess the adequacy and suitability of software tested for deployment into a production environment.
- Perform live validation testing, of implemented programs, when necessary
Software is operational in a production environment
- Individual Development
- Dedicatedly seek to continually develop personal skills and capabilities to deliver requirements of role
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Could this be the role for you?
If you’d like to have an informal chat about your potential in this role, book in a call with one of our friendly talent advocates on 0191 300 6501 who can provide details, advise and guide you with your job search.
Alternatively, follow us on our blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram to follow industry news, events, success stories and new role releases.
Chat on WhatsApp
Chat on Messenger
Back to Jobs