Newcastle upon Tyne
£25,000 - £30,000
We are looking for a Technical Director to lead our Newcastle technical team in managing a number of exciting projects for one of our biggest clients.
You are two parts kick-ass developer, one part super team lead, one part PM and one part sales!
The successful candidate will play a key role in defining and implementing a complex technical solution for one of our largest applications; moving a monolithic application to a modern framework using industry leading methods. Think service and microservice architecture, queueing, scalability, fault tolerance and containerisation.
You should be able to design such a system and reason about the architecture and the bottlenecks and requirements that may come from such a design. You should also be able to lead and inspire a team of developers to implement your vision, as well as explaining to the business the impacts of any decisions.
- Define and drive the technical strategy for our client, with the primary goal of ensuring all platforms are robust, flexible, scalable and cost effective
- Lead the translation of the client’s business requirements into systems design
- Develop architectural, functional and planning documents for current and future developments
- Develop and revise statements of work to include accurate time and cost estimates
- Research and introduce new technologies and enforce coding and deployment standards
- Manage an expanding team of in-house team developers and QA testers, with support from project managers and business owners
- Work with the client's IT team to establish and maintain the technology strategy at an application level
- Work closely with the Chief Technical Officer to ensure a united and collaborative approach to the delivery of all solutions
- Support the business team to define opportunities and assist on pre-sales opportunities such as RFP responses, architecture assessments and technical proposals
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering and architectural principles
- Working knowledge of industry standards including REST, SOAP, OAUTH, message queues, etc.
- Excellent PHP skills, with proficiency in either Java, Python, or both
- Experience with at least one MVC framework (Symfony, Zend, Laravel)
- Proven ability to organise and manage multiple priorities
- Able to define, communicate and enforce coding and deployment standards and best practice methodology
- Proven leadership skills, comfortable building and empowering technical delivery teams
- Proven background in strategic planning and technical project delivery; highlight organised with exceptional attention to detail
- Extensive experience working with key stakeholders to educate, communicate risks and ensure project definition and delivery
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions and strategies
- Proven ability to determine future skill gaps and source and mentor talent
- Proven background in helping drive strategic sales opportunities
Could this be the role for you?
If you’d like to have an informal chat about your potential in this role, book in a call with one of our friendly talent advocates on 0191 620 0123 who can provide details, advise and guide you with your job search.
Alternatively, follow us on our blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram to follow industry news, events, success stories and new role releases.